The first thing that came to mind when watching this video was the similarity between the ideas presented in it and that of the character Pramod in “The Good Shopkeeper”. Pramod is laid off from his job and is told by his wife, as well as many others that he should keep a positive attitude. In the film, this is our societies’ ideology, that if we have a constant positive attitude, then everything will be fine. This is referred to as willful ignorance. Pramod continues to hold onto this ideology, although it’s clear that he has major doubts of its effectiveness. He even attends Shiva’s temple daily, in hopes that his spiritual devotion will work in his favor, as it has appeared to for others. When he returns empty handed, after months of attempting to adopt such attitude, he decides to stray from it.
The American view that sex and anything related to it is taboo has shaped the way in which I view sexuality. For many years I believed sex to be a shameful thing, due to my conservative American upbringing and the presence of Catholicism in my home. I never even received the “sex talk” because such things weren’t discussed. I viewed it has a sin until I became older enough to realize that it is simply a human need and desire. However, my upbringing enforces that sex is a sacred act and decisions regarding it shouldn’t be taken lightly. My combined experiences have morphed two ideals into one. In my eyes, sex is an act with a lot of meaning behind it but it is also a natural thing that should be discussed openly and not swept under the rug.
No comments:
Post a Comment